PDA

View Full Version : Part 7: Body Transformation - continued: paint, wet sand, and buff

Slither
April 15th, 2022, 10:02 PM
Alan did some final finish sanding and prep, and had the body ship-shape in no time.

So it was off to the paint booth to shoot some color. You may recall from an earlier post that we finally discovered the original Ford color. I sent the paint code off to Maurice. He had a company mix up a batch for us. Here it is on the nose of a 64-1/2 Mustang

I vacillated back and forth on the scallops for the grill and headlights, as Lew had them on the original paint scheme, but left them off when he repainted the car, apparently to get it ready for sale. The repaint was a bit different yellow. I found that the scallops were something that really divided opinions... either people really liked them or they hated them. There was not much in between. Wanna guess what I decided? Here it is in the paint booth with the base color shot.

And another,

And one more.

What is amazing is that, just like all the photos I have of 2459 from the sixties, the color changes with the lighting. Notice that the center photo looks pretty much the same as the Mustang color. While some would be upset or bummed about that, I was thrilled! This photographic color shift is one of the reasons that it was so hard to figure out the original color!

Here she is with the base coats finished... and the scallops in place. Did you guess correctly?

After the clear coat, wet sanding, and a buff, she is lookin' like glass! Alan is a great painter!

And another,

And another,

And one more

I guess it is time to start on the chassis

Naumoff
April 16th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Looking good Paul!

Naumoff
January 26th, 2024, 04:55 AM
any new updates you keeping from us?

Slither
January 30th, 2024, 11:02 PM
unfortunately not. Long story, but life has sorta gotten in the way, lately. I am hoping to start moving it forward again, before too long.